Monday, September 29, 2008

Sensory Integration Meltdown

So something has come over my little boy and I can not figure out the trigger point. This morning was a rough morning. Patrick and I went in his room to wake him up and get ready for the day. He immediately started screaming and crying which is not normal. He usually will stretch his arms and legs and start helping us take his pajamas off.

Today was way different. As we was screaming Patrick and I try to console him and he just started kicking, hitting, and hyperventilating because he was so upset. We tried everything to calm him down and nothing was working. Between the both of us we got his pajamas off and starting to change his diaper and he screamed NO DIAPER CHANGE. Some how some of his senses were off this morning.

It took us awhile but we got his new diaper on and eventually his clothes for the day. We then proceeded to try and put his shoes and socks on. His new shoes he loves we just got that LIGHT UP. He normally is upset if we take them off.

After he was completely dressed he got down off of his bed and ran to the bathroom where I was finishing getting ready to go to work and said I love you mommy and started to quiver. It melted my heart and I was ready to have a meltdown.

I don't know what triggered his emotions this morning. I know it is sensory related because this was not a temper tantrum it reflected nothing as his normal temper tantrums do. He has done this a few times at night before bed a couple of weeks ago.

I think it is sensory because it seemed he got upset with any type of touch or expected touch. He is normally would love a kiss and hug in the morning not this morning he kicked or hit when we tried. I am emotional mess today sitting at my desk trying to figure out what happened to my little boy this morning. I wish I knew how to prevent them from happening.

We started a journal writing down what he eats, when he sleeps, wakes up each day to try and find a trigger.

Yesterday he napped normally, had a play date which he loved, and actually ate dinner.

Eating dinner these days has been a challenge. Lately he would rather play and not eat. Thanks for stopping by.

I know there are a lot of unknowns about the brain but there are a lot of unknowns I have a lot of unknowns myself but I am trying to figure this all out. I know Sean's stroke affected his parietal lobe, frontal lobe, and temporal lobe because of the closed lip schizenphally.

4 comments:

Mommy07 said...

Sorry you had such a rough morning, crappy way to start the week =(

Sean sounds like such a sweetie, hope you figure out the trigger to the meltdown!

Erin said...

Thanks I hope so too.

Christine said...

I'm sorry your morning was so "off." I hope things are better for you guys tomorrow morning. Maybe Sean is getting a cold and it's throwing his senses into overdrive?? Total uneducated guess...
Big hugs to you both; hope all is better this evening.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry Erin. Sounds like you're right--a sensory thing. It stinks that you can't seem to find a trigger though. Has he started developmental therapy? Could you talk with his therapist about it and see what he/she thinks?

My completely uneducated guess is that he sort of "woke up on the wrong side of the bed." Maybe he had some weird dreams or he's starting a growth spurt, etc. I think anything like that can trigger odd behavior in our kiddos. Hang in there--at least he gave you a big hug at the end!!

Powered By Blogger